Benefits of swimming from a young age:
- Babies are born with a kicking reflex, however they lose this reflex around 6 months of age. Practicing kicking from as early as possible will allow your baby to retain this reflex which will give them a huge head start in learning to swim.
- Swimming strengthens muscles and joints and it builds lung capacity – which is especially good for asthma sufferers
- Swimming encourages babies to start to cross their midline and to develop other physical skills whilst improving co-ordination, balance & spatial awareness
- The pool is a place free of day-to-day distractions such as phones, washing and meal preparation. In the pool you can focus exclusively on your baby and create wonderful family memories in the outdoors. Enjoy those precious bonding moments in the fresh air with lots of skin-on-skin contact, cuddling and splashing.
- Lavishing praise on your child as they begin to master their kicking and swimming strokes is great for baby’s self-esteem
- Light exercise like swimming will help your baby to eat better and sleep longer.
Unfortunately drowning deaths are all too common in South Africa. The NSRI has published that every year approximately 600 children die from drowning with 10 times this number of children surviving a drowning experience and sadly not all of them will recover fully.
Taking you child swimming from a young age will teach them to become more aware of water safety.
There are many ways of teaching your baby to swim. Formal swimming lessons are great social occasions for meeting other parents. Online videos can instruct you how you can teach your baby to swim. The SWIMTRAINER “Classic” flotation aid by FREDS SWIM ACADEMY, places babies from 3 months in the correct swimming position and is a great tool for practicing kicking and building confidence in the water.
The aid is designed in such a way to decrease the chances of toppling over or your baby accidentally slipping through. Another added benefit of The SWIMTRAINER “Classic” flotation aid by FREDS SWIM ACADEMY, is that it can be used in any pool an